Drawing Social Security after retirement

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are a border commuter living in Canada, you already show that taxation is not your highest concern ;o)

Of course it is legal to work in US while collecting CPP. How could it not be?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
exPenn

Post by exPenn »

Stewak 2 says "I see that one can continue working while drawing CPP - so long as one continues to pay into it." Just a note of clarification: If you are between 60 and 65 and continue to work (in Canada) while receiving CPP, you must continue to contribute to CPP (actually to an equivalent program called the Post Retirement Benefit, PRB, with contributions at CPP rates) that would give a (slight) boost each year to your CPP benefits. If you are between 65 and 70, and receiving CPP while working, you can choose to contribute to the PRB, or not. After 70 you cannot contribute.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Exactly, so to stewak's comment, contributing to CPP/PRB while working is not conditional on whether you are collecting CPP or not, it is merely conditional on your age.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

Yes, but I'd be workiing in US, not Canada ( but living in Canada ).
My assumption is I can collect CPP, and NOT pay into PRB.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

you CAN'T contribute to the Cdn system if working (employee) in the US.
canroc

Post by canroc »

When I reach age 70 I will have had 30 years employment in the U.S. If I collect SS and CPP at that point then it is obvious that WEP will not apply. However if I start collecting CPP earlier will that trigger a WEP situation years later when finally applying for SS when 30 years of U.S. employment has been reached? From what I've read above it appears not.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, you would be fine. WEP is only determined in the year that you first get BOTH SS and the non-SS pension (everyone focusses on CPP, but ANY pension from non-SS-covered work triggers WEP)

So, if you have 30 years of substantial income (make sure you check that you meet substantial income in all those years, not just 4 quarters of SS -- they are not the same.) when you start collecting SS, you won't be subject to WEP.