Working virtually for a US company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

virtualworker

Working virtually for a US company

Post by virtualworker »

I've been offered virtual employment for a US company who has no other Canadian employees. If I work from home (in Canada) do I pay Canadian taxes or US taxes? What is my employer responsible for?

And how would the scenario change if I worked as a contractor instead in this same scenario.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If he pays you as a contractor, he only needs to send you a check, no withholding.

If he wants you as an employee, it MUST be a CDn employee, with fed/prov/EI/CPP withholding/

He cannot treat you like a US employee.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
virtualworker

Which country do I pay taxes to?

Post by virtualworker »

Okay - would I just have to pay Canadian taxes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes since you are working in Canada. there is no US taxation involved here, unless the US firm handles things completely wrong.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NECdn

Post by NECdn »

What are the implications for the worker if the firm pays them as a US employee when they live and work in Canada? In this particular case taxes have been paid to both the US and Canadian governments for several years.
Moving2Canada

Would it be better to commute to US?

Post by Moving2Canada »

Are there advantages as i) a US employee or ii) a CDN contractor or commuting to the US from Canada?

How does this change the obligations on the US employer reporting?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Asked and answered on the other thread you hi-jacked.