TAX in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

raj

TAX in Canada

Post by raj »

My husband moved to US 2 months ago with TN. I'm planning to move in a week as well. We extended our health cards for next 3 years, told child care benefit that we are leaving, transferred all the accounts to TD waterhouse etc.

We still have a Canadian line of credit against our house in canada, regular bank accounts, and credit cards that we are not closing in Canada. But we are informing banks and financial institution that we are leaving and updating our address. Our house in Canada will be rented out too.

Anything else needed to be done before I leave?
Any tax consequences with these?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Look s good.
His departure can and will be different than yours, so he should use the date he left for work.
Your health cards aren't much good to you, nor your DL, so don't rely on those.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ainu.afnu

Post by ainu.afnu »

Thanks. One more question about HBP RRSP.

I have 15k and my husband has 15k HBP loan remaining. If we payback this loan now before leaving canada. Then we can withdraw the whole amount in the USA in late 2016 minus 25% tax. Am I right? Pls note that my husband already moved to US with TN two months back and I am planning to move with TD in July.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. he best do that now, since he had 60 days from departure to make the repayment.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
raj

Post by raj »

Need little clarification here regarding these 60 days. My husband received his TN on 16th of April but actually moved on 10th of May. What should be the actual moving date for Tax purpose?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

May 10. Your deaprture date will be when you move.