How to fill in form 8938, part VI, items 8a, b, and c?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dbaezner

How to fill in form 8938, part VI, items 8a, b, and c?

Post by dbaezner »

I'm trying to fill in part VI of form 8938 for my RRSPs and have been scouring the web for simple answers to items 8a, b, and c in part VI. The IRS guides have been no help.

8a. Name of issuer or counterparty: Scotiabank (easy enough)
Then it asks me to check if the information is for an issuer or a counterparty. I assume issuer. [b]Is that correct?[/b]

8b. Choose among various options to categorize the issuer or counterparty, including Corporation or Trust. [b]RRSPs are considered a trust under U.S. rules, yet Scotiabank is a corporation, so I don't know which to check.[/b]

8c. check if issuer or counterparty is a U.S. person or a foreign person. [b]Since Scotiabank is not a person, I don't know if should just leave this blank or choose foreign.[/b]

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dirk
K104XYZ

Post by K104XYZ »

Hi Dirk, these questions were discussed in this forum a couple of months ago, so you could search the forum if you wanted to see that, and more, about Part VI Form 8938. But the simple answers you want are as follows:

8a. Scotiabank is the issuer.
8b. Scotiabank is a corporation.
8c. Scotiabank is a foreign person. The word 'person' has a broader meaner here than just a literal human-being person.
dbaezner

Post by dbaezner »

Fantastic. Thank you very much.