interest income and capital gain

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dp

interest income and capital gain

Post by dp »

I am a Canadian living in Canada. Please confirm or correct me:

The interest on form 1099-INT is not taxable in US based on Pub 519;

The capital gain on form 1099-DIV is not taxable in US based on Article XIII(4);

The capital gain/loss on K1 (partner's capital account) is taxable in US and should be reported on f1040nr line 14.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct.

The question becomes why do you, a Cdn resident, have an account in US which generates this income. US brokers are not allowed to deal with Cdn resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dp

Post by dp »

Nelsona

I opened the account when I was working in US.

I have another question:

I received f1099-DIV for my mutual fund. After I read this forum, I understand that I should receive f1042s instead of f1099-DIV. It may be because I haven't changed my address for that account. Anyway, could you please tell me how to report ordinary dividends and qualified dividends on the 1040nr form? Can I report ordinary dividends on page 4 and qualified dividends on page 1?

Thank you very much for your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So you need to close the account.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dp

Post by dp »

Nelsona,

Could you please answer the other question about the dividends? Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Perhaps someone else can.