RESP reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

marcharry

RESP reporting

Post by marcharry »

The RESP is controlled by my Canadian-only wife. My daughter is dual. The daughter, received income from the RESP for school. Daughter will report the income on the 1040NR.

Does the daughter need to file a 3520?
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hello,

If your daughter is a US citizen, she needs to file a 1040, not 1040NR. NR is short for "non-resident alien" (they should call the form 1040NRA)

I believe she has to file a 3520 to report being the beneficiary of a foreign trust - but I have limited experience with this part.
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
marcharry

Post by marcharry »

Thank you

That is unfortunate but not totally unexpected. But no 3520A is required as the trust is not owned by a US citizen.

Getting fancy, is it fair to say that the reporting obligation only exists while the beneficiary is getting grants and/or investment income during years 1 and 2 but not while she is getting our own contributions in years 3 and 4?
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

I know where you are going, but the IRS doesn't care: Income from the trust is income from the trust & a 3250 will be required until there is none.