over contribution of IRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

echo

over contribution of IRA

Post by echo »

Hello I just realized I made over contribution to IRA by $10. The account was just funded on Apr 14. Called the bank and was told to do a distribution form. I was hoping to just change the contribution form and reduce the contribution by $10.

Other than filing 1040x, what else do I need to do for this over contribution? Do I need to fill out any extra form?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

www.irs.gov
Not a cross border issue.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your bank should not have let you do this. Most online brokerages put the limits automatically.

You could ask them to make the 10$ a contibution towards your 2015 IRA limit, which the bank should have doen automatically.

Get a new IRA manager.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
echo

Post by echo »

[quote="nelsona"]www.irs.gov
Not a cross border issue.[/quote]

Only cross border issues can be discussed here?
echo

Post by echo »

[quote="nelsona"]Your bank should not have let you do this. Most online brokerages put the limits automatically.

You could ask them to make the 10$ a contibution towards your 2015 IRA limit, which the bank should have doen automatically.

Get a new IRA manager.[/quote]

My bank can not do this for me because I am covered by an employment pension plan. So I have to calculate my own contribution limit. It's just a high interest IRA CD.

If I carry over this to 2015, don't I need to fill out form 5329? Form 5329 is supposed to be filed by Apr 15 if i have over contribution. I already missed the deadline because I just realized today there is over contribution (one 1099 interest slip was sent to the old address and forwarded to me just now after I filed my return 3 days ago. The extra $50 interest I would have to amend my return for is reducing my IRA limit by $10).

So i have two choices:
1. Do not withdraw the $10 over contribution. Carry it over to next year. 6% penalty is nothing considering its only $10 excess contribution. File amend return only for the unreported interest. File 5329 for this $10 although it's after Apr 15.
2. Withdraw the $10. Amend my return to add the extra interest income, and reduce my IRA deduction by $10. Do I also need to file form 5329 in this case?

Thanks!
echo

Post by echo »

Can somebody help? If i carry over $10 to next year's contribution, should I fill out form 5329 or even form 8606?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Eh, echo, yes this is a cross-border forum. There are 100's of IRS tax question forums that can help you.