RREGOP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxeve

RREGOP

Post by taxeve »

I am a resident of Quebec and U.S. expat. Does anyone know how to report to the IRS a refund from the Quebec RREGOP (Public Employees Retirement Plan)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is considered pension income. Whatever portion if the refund is taxable in Canada is taxable in US, as pension 16b on 1040..
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
taxeve

Post by taxeve »

Thanks for your reply about the RREGOP (Quebec Government & Public Employees Retirement Plan. However, I still have questions.

- This was a lump-sum distribution (one time only), taxable in Canada.

- Is the amount I received exempt from U.S. taxes because of the Tax Treaty? Is this type of Canadian government pension plan [lump-sum distribution] covered by the Tax Treaty? [Possibly Article XVIII, paragraph 3 ?]

- If I declare it on Form 1040, line 16[a] and 16[b], is the entire amount taxable?

- If it is not covered by the Tax Treaty, is there another way to exempt it from U.S. taxes?

Any further information would be most appreciated. Thanks again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Its fully taxable by the treaty. 16a = 16b because it was fully taxable in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will owe no tax in US regardless with the credit you get.