Filed jointly vs separately for USA taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mrkwkkrn

Filed jointly vs separately for USA taxes?

Post by mrkwkkrn »

Here's a question for you: My wife and I are both living in the USA, but are both Canadian, and she is an American citizen, and I am a permanent resident. This results in some very complicated tax situations. FYI my income was $14K CDN(EI income), and $10K USD, and my wifes was $36K.

I was just about to submit our taxed (filing jointly), when I thought what if I file separately? It dropped our taxes owed from $2000 to basically 0!

My question is are there any major implications to doing this? Can we switch back to filing jointly next year?

FYI I am also planning on filing section 217 in Canada (for my self), and I did include that income on my US return, but did not claim a foreign tax credit.

Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you should be using software, it will decide if you should file jointly or not.

if you are not using software, you are probably wrong, because you claimed your situation is complicated.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mrkwkkrn

Post by mrkwkkrn »

I am using Turbotax, so I just changed the option and saw it change!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

they should have suggested it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mrkwkkrn

Post by mrkwkkrn »

Maybe I just didn't get that far.
newballance989

Post by newballance989 »

Players can buy Guild Wars 2 gold to enhance their ability. It is time for heroes from the 5 classes to set aside old opponents and work together to fight against their general foes. Cold steel, technology and magic would decide the final fate of the world.
[img]http://www.rsgpfast.com/common/images/ban1.gif[/img]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
[url=http://www.rsgoldmall.com/]cheap runescape gold[/url]