Cashing in Canadian RRSP/LIRA for U.S. Resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lulu2

Cashing in Canadian RRSP/LIRA for U.S. Resident

Post by lulu2 »

Live and work in the U.S. on a (TN) visa. I have cashed in my [b]"Lira"[/b] Retirement fund (lump sum) in Canada (able to do so due to deemed a Non-Resident of Canada by CRA) and 25% Tax was automatically withheld/paid to (CRA).
Totally confused about was the next step is as far as declaring it in U.S.?, whether I can get part of that 25% tax paid back from Canada (Elect to file under Section 217 CRA)? or whether I can use this tax paid to Canada-CRA on my 1040 in the U.S.? (Tax Treaty Canada-U.S.)
Any help greatly appreciated...[/b]
lulu2

Re: Cashing in Canadian RRSP/LIRA for U.S. Resident

Post by lulu2 »

Live and work in the U.S. on a (TN) visa. I have cashed in my "Lira" Retirement fund (lump sum) in Canada (able to do so due to deemed a Non-Resident of Canada by CRA) and 25% Tax was automatically withheld/paid to (CRA).
Totally confused about was the next step is as far as declaring it in U.S.?, whether I can get part of that 25% tax paid back from Canada (Elect to file under Section 217 CRA)? or whether I can use this tax paid to Canada-CRA on my 1040 in the U.S.? (Tax Treaty Canada-U.S.)
Any help greatly appreciated...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

whether you sue 217 or not is upto you, but if you work in US and the amount is much more than 10K you are not going to get a lower arte.

the LIRA is 100$ taxable in US, so you need to add this to your income and use the 25% tax as a credit on form 1116.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D