Filing Canadian Taxes as a Non-Resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sarahbella

Filing Canadian Taxes as a Non-Resident

Post by sarahbella »

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen who moved the the US on August 13, 2014 on a K-1 Visa. I got married on October 4th.

I've been reading the forums, but cannot find the answer or am searching the wrong phrases, I don't know.

So, I worked in Canada until I moved in August. I got my work pension/lump sum payment after I moved. I did not have any US income 2014. My spouse is a US Citizen who worked the full year. What do I put as my spouse's income on my Canadian Tax Return? The information found on her W-4?

My tax return is fairly simple, I just had employment income, some medical expenses, transit passes and a bit of tuition. I'm doing it on turbotax.ca and they are asking what my spouse's income is.

Any help is appreciated. We tried to drop our forms off at H&R Block but it's been 3 weeks and they have not called us back.

Thanks
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

THe H&R block guys will be only doing your US return that means you will be either filing as a full year resident showing all your income on a full 1040 as allowed under treaty with your wife a joint return or part yr return you have to see which is best the full joint should be best.

For Canada you file a departure return the day you left Canada no mention of the wife since you were only married after you departed from Canada.
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to clarify, the right of this couple to file jointly is by IRS regulation, not treaty.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D