Investment options for US Citizens resident in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi nelsona - didn't see your last question.
I think you're right - and I admit this isn't what I said in the example. I need to figure this out.....
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just incase you mised this post, too:
1099-DIVs do NOT specify foreign income. They only report foreign tax paid.
One needs to consult the fundco for the breakdown of foreign/domestic income source.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Thanks nelsona. I agree - I can't see the CRA claiming that the dividend was only $85 - I'd have to report $100. I have QCAN in my TFSA so I don't have to report it to Canada anyway.

If I did have to report it to Canada, reporting options are:

A. Claim a $100 dividend of US source. Then claim that I paid the IRS $15 of tax on it (even though the fundco paid Canada the $15)
B. Treat the 1099 div as if it were a T5, claim a $100 dividend for foreign income, and claim I paid $15 in foreign taxes thru the fundco.

What's bothering me, is, wouldn't a non-USC resident of Canada receive a T5 that shows a $85 US sourced dividend. Then, wouldn't the W8BEN require an additional 15% tax to be withheld to pay the IRS.
nohairleft

Post by nohairleft »

Dredging up a 6-year-old forum post:

http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=3488

This relates more to my "what if QCAN invested in worldwide international stuff" hypothetical. In that earlier life, nelsona recommended the following regarding this specific situation and canatech.pdf:

" there is a very detailed discussion of third country taxation in the technical expalantion of article XXIV which I invite your to read."
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

THanks nohairleft. I've managed to find canatech.pdf and will read through it. Cheers!