US Taxes and Canadian tax return obligation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

msuri98

US Taxes and Canadian tax return obligation

Post by msuri98 »

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen working on TN Visa in US since June 2014. My wife and kids also moved with me to US.

I have worked in Canada Jan till April. I own a house in Canada which I rented in July intend to sell in July of 2015.
I do have RRSP around 80K, LIRA 30K and RESP 20K in Canada

Now for US
Do I have to report my canadian income (T4) with W-2

similarly for Canadian Tax return do I hv to report T4 and W-2(US)

Please advice.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you moved from Canada, you file a departure return with CRA, reporting world income until the date you left. So, you won't be reporting any US wages, from wha tyou say. You will have departure tax to take care of (and read the emigrants guide from CRA). One thing you have neglected was remitting 25% tax every month on your rent to CRA, so you might want to fix this fast.

For IRS, what you report will be based on how you choose to file, either full-year or part-year. I've discussed this sufficiently in the past. Happy browsing.

Most married individuals choose full-year for MUCH better US tax rate.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D