How does IRS view RPP's?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

victoriaguy

How does IRS view RPP's?

Post by victoriaguy »

Hi there,

I read on an old post on another forum that RPP's are reportable on form 3520. i thought they were a form of RRSP. Or are they more like a pension that just has to be reported on the FBAR? Or is it a different beast altogether?

Also, if it is 3520 reportable, is it also 3520A reportable, and do I have to report employer contributions as "other income" on the latter form?

Thanks for any insights.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

RPP;s which you have no signing authority over (ie they are not in an account), do not require FBAR, but are to be included in form 8938 calculations.

I have always taken the position that RPP;s are not subject to 3520 and have never heard of any problems doing so.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Thanks nelsona. I will do that too. Do you consider RPP's a variety of RSP?

Reason I ask is, I know form 8891 has technically been made obsolete by RP2014-55, but the streamlined instructions still indicate to include them, and the streamlined people won't give any guidance whether to use an 8891 for an RSP or not. So I'm using them and crossing my fingers. ;)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

RPP's are NOT a variety of RRSPs.

Just because 8891 has been retired does not mean that RRSPs are not included in other forms such as FBAR and 8938. in fact, becuase 8891 was retired, RRSP's require MORE reporting now (on 8938) becuase 8891 used to absolve one of detailed reporting. right now, until 2014 instructions and forms come out for 8938 there is no guidance for RRSPs. RPPs have always been subject to 8938 detailed reporting.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Thanks for this reply and your other post on RSP's and 8938.

One last question then, if I may. For this RPP, should I be reporting employer contributions as income, or even any of the growth in it at all as income, as I don't have signing authority, as you say? Or just a commutable value?

Thanks man.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Cdn RPPs are protected by treaty from taxation on internal gains until distribution.
nanic

Post by nanic »

What value do I put, if I don't it. I have a defined Benefit Plan from the Canadian Government. Do I just put 0? Do I need to report it on 8938?