Canadian with TN visa moving back to Canada. US Tax refund?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

smoothoperator

Canadian with TN visa moving back to Canada. US Tax refund?

Post by smoothoperator »

Hello all,

I studied in US school for 4 years. Right after graduating from US school, I ended up living and working in USA. I having been living and working for a US company under TN visa for two years now. But now I plan moving back to Canada in June of this year.

I filed my income tax in both Canada and US every year. CRA in Canada never asked me to pay tax I owned to them. I am assuming it's because I never reside and earn income in Canada plus I was away from Canada for 4 years as student. But I have been paying IRS my income tax in US all the time.

When I move back to Canada this year, how can I get the US income tax I paid for the past two year be refunded to me?

It will be nice if anyone can share their experience regarding this issue.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS doesn't owe you anything. You paid the tax that was owing and no more.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D