Do I pay CDN tax as a Canadian living and working in US?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

smoothoperator

Do I pay CDN tax as a Canadian living and working in US?

Post by smoothoperator »

Hello guys,

I studied in US school for 4 years. Right after graduating from US school, I ended up living and working in US for a US company under TN visa for two years. I didn't cut any residential tie with Canada because I intend to return back to Canada next year. Plus I don't own any asset in Canada. So for the past two years, I have been filing my tax for both US and Canada. But CRA never ask me to pay any income tax. I thought Canadian residents are suppose to pay income tax. Did CRA assume that I am non-resident of Canada since I was away from Canada for such a long time? Or Am I suppose to pay back income tax I owned to CRA when I return to Canada? Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, you said you filed your taxes in Canada. Did you not calculate tax owing? Us tax is less than Canada so there would at kleast be some tax left over.

In anyt event, you have left Canada, regardless of ties, because you live and work in US, which trumps everything else, by treaty.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

thanks for the response Nelson. I filed my US income with CRA in Canada and they never calculate and tell me tax that I own to Canada. However, my mother got a call from CRA to confirm if I am actually living in USA. They call my mother because that's the address of my residence in Canada.