SL after QD for same issue

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

deepocean

SL after QD for same issue

Post by deepocean »

After I did a hasty QD for a foreign account, I found out there is a recently announced domestic SL option. After reading posts here, I am now worried about my QD that involved an account that was both undisclosed and unreported. So I am wondering if it is possible to enter SL after doing QD, for correcting the same mistake. Obviously I will pay a 5% penalty, but other than that I need to know if it is possible? Thanks!
deepocean

Post by deepocean »

I should add that by SL I mean the recently announced domestic SDOP. The attorney I am consulting with suggests this is possible and recommends it, but I am not too sure of his advice due to monetary interest. I am pulling my hair trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to save money, but I don't want to make the matters worse either. Any guidance is appreciated.