Tangerine/ING - Asking wife to provide W-9 (No ITIN/SSN)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dazealex

Tangerine/ING - Asking wife to provide W-9 (No ITIN/SSN)

Post by dazealex »

Hello there,

Recently, when we updated our addresses at ING Direct Bank, now Tangerine, they asked my wife a few months later, to fill out a W-9 form. Problem is that she is here in the US with me as a dependent on an H-4.

Only way to fill the form, W-9 would be to file a W-7 and request an ITIN number.

So my question pertains to the "Reason for applying for an ITIN." I read the info package on it, and chose option h based on the exceptions listed, this one seemed to fit:

h): Other (see instructions): Exception 1. Passive income—third party withholding or tax treaty benefits

Please help. I'm worried that if I delay getting this to the bank, they might freeze our accounts.

Thanks,

Daze
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I wouldn't worry about this right now; you will be filing your return in January and will get ITIN at that time. I wouldn't bother filing W-7 now as this will just delay your 1040.

Tangerine will wait.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

Many US banks incorrectly ask for W-9 when they should instead be requesting W-8BEN, as it sounds like is your case.

The bank does need a TIN for her under Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation law, which can be viewed here in its entirety http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/ru ... -1960.html

ITIN processors are given 60 seconds to review each form and summarily reject ITIN applications with any flaw, however small or insignificant. The way you've described your completing W7 is insufficient and will get rejected. If you'd like, post your e-mail here and I'll refer you to an ITIN expert in Toronto.
ND

Post by ND »

Many US banks incorrectly ask for W-9 when they should instead be requesting W-8BEN, as it sounds like is your case.

The bank does need a TIN for her under Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation law, which can be viewed here in its entirety http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/ru ... -1960.html

ITIN processors are given 60 seconds to review each form and summarily reject ITIN applications with any flaw, however small or insignificant. The way you've described your completing W7 is insufficient and will get rejected. If you'd like, post your e-mail here and I'll refer you to an ITIN expert in Toronto.

Applying for an ITIN now will not delay your 1040. If you get one now you'll be able to file your 1040 directly to the IRS 1040 processing center whereas if you file W7 with your 1040, you'll need to send your return with it to the ITIN dept - so waiting til then will actually delay your 1040 longer than getting an ITIN now.

As well, you may want to e-file your 1040. This may not (or may be) be possible when filing W7 for the return.
ND

Post by ND »

and one more thing - if your wife applies for ITIN with your 1040, she'll need Passport Canada certification ($45, 10 day wait without passport & hassle of going/waiting at passport office) whereas if she applies now with a valid letter from the bank she can avoid all that by simply getting an IRS CERTIFYING ACCEPTANCE AGENT in Toronto to certify her passport and include that certification page with her W7.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

W-9 is for US residents, like our poster's wife. She is in US, so getting a ITIN shouldn't be difficult. EA's all over the place, if needed.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D