Which State Will I Be Taxed In?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tmlinfinity

Which State Will I Be Taxed In?

Post by tmlinfinity »

Hello,

I am considering taking a US Job Offer (Canadian Citizen on TN and non-resident alien for the time being).

The US Company's head office is located in California but I will be working in Michigan initially for a client project.

Which state will I be paying taxes to?
California or Michigan?

Is it based where the HQ is or where you actually work from?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Its based on where you work. especially since you must work in MI for this client.

What are you basing your US non-residency status on? Are you commuting back and forth?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tmlinfinity

Post by tmlinfinity »

Thanks for the reply nelsona.

I'm using non-residency status based on not meeting the Substantial Presence Test.

Yes I will be commuting to and from MI every week (e.g. drive to MI monday then return to Ontario, Canada Thursdays).

How will I know if I'm getting taxed for working in MI versus CA where my potential employer will be based?

The company has no offices in MI so I just want to make sure I'm getting taxed accordingly.

Thx.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

it should show on your paystub: MI witholding rather than CA withholding.

For federal filing status, make sure you keep good records of your nights in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D