Remote work from Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nerdbay

Remote work from Canada

Post by nerdbay »

Hi, I am working on a contract with an American company where my Ontario corporation will perform work remotely (by Canadian residents, no Americans involved), 100% in Ontario, with no work travel to USA. Does my Ontario corporation need to fill out any IRS forms such as W-9, 1120-F, W-8BEN-E, etc for the American client?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Most in your situation are encouraged to file a "protective" 1120-F. Since you are no doubt simply being paid corp-to-corp, no need for any other forms.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
vin1

Post by vin1 »

Hi,
Almost the same situation for me. But I have to travel to the US for business meetings, about 6 times a year (20 days total). Since the meeting days are billable, these 20 days is considered US sourced income. They gave me "1042-S" for this portion of income. (income code: 16) in the form, but no withholding. Is this "US sourced income" still covered under the Treaty Benefit Claims at zero rate ? Does it need to be separated (stated differently) from the rest of income earned from Canada (95%) in 1120-F filing ?

Thanks
Vincent