Canadian moving to the states with a car on a TN Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

chocochi

Canadian moving to the states with a car on a TN Visa

Post by chocochi »

Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of research but I am still a little confused on the topic. A little about my situation: I am a Canadian living in BC, and am going to be starting a full-time job in Seattle soon (one without an end date). I will be working there under a TN Visa.

Here are some of my questions:

1) Will I need to fill out an NR73 to determine my residency? For taxation purposes, I assume it is ideal to be deemed a non-resident of Canada. From my understanding, if I am deemed a non-resident, I will only have to pay taxes in Canada on Canadian earned income, whereas if I am a factual resident, I will have to pay the remaining difference in Canada, after the foreign tax credit.
2) I will be driving my Canadian car down to Seattle. Will I need to formally import my vehicle? I envision myself being there for 2-3 years.
3) Will I need to get my vehicle insured and plated by an American insurance company, or can I maintain my current insurance with ICBC?

Thanks a lot for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. No NR73. You will be non-resident the day you move, and will file a departure return accordingly.
2. Yes.
3. You will need US coverage, plates, and a WA DL.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sflapointe

Post by sflapointe »

Be sure that your car is compliant to State specifications. We moved 15 years ago and found out our Ford Topaz was not compliant <back> We had no idea at the time. Lookijg back, we would have sold the car on Canadian soil and purchased a U.S. vehicle once here in Kansas. Best of luck!