L-1B Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cm

L-1B Visa

Post by cm »

In 2011, I was transferred from our Canadian office to our affiliate office in the US under an L-1B visa. I continued to be paid by our Cdn company and filed my taxes in Canada. Should I have been filing in the US even though I was on the Cdn payroll? Would I get credit for the tax I paid in Cda?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You became a non-resident in 2011. Your firm should have changed their payroll. How have you been filing in US?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cm

Post by cm »

I have not been filing in US. Can the payroll situation be corrected or do I just file and claim the foreign tax credit?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have a big probelm. Your income since 2011 is subject to US taxation FIRST, so you owe a HUGE amount to IRS, and probably nothing to Canada.

Your firm needs to sort this out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D