J1 Visa ss and medicare tax exemption

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

delancey

J1 Visa ss and medicare tax exemption

Post by delancey »

I read online that individuals who are on a J1 visa are exempt from paying social security and medicare tax. My friend was in the U.S. between May 2012 and August 2013 on a J1 visa working. She was classified as self employed. She received a J1 Visa. I called Turbo tax and was transferred to a tax expert. The woman I spoke with said that because she was in the country for more than 183 days, she is classified as a resident. This means that she has to pay social security and medicare tax.

I would like to make sure because a friend of mine was on a J1 visa working at the same company for about 1 year and he did not have to pay ss and medicare taxes.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
delancey

Post by delancey »

Bump, anyone have any experience on this? Should a person who is on a J1 visa be exempt from paying ss and medicare tax?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please don't bump. J1's are not considered residents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
delancey

Post by delancey »

Nelsona, thanks for your reply. Does this mean that she is exempt from having to pay ss and medicare tax?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, she is exempt from fica.
She will indicate this on her 1040NR,

Why isn't your friend doing their own taxes?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
delancey

Post by delancey »

She's currently no longer in the US. I'm just helping her out. So if I'm using turbo tax, I need to categorize her as a non resident?

I just need to be sure, for a tax expert at turbo tax said that because she lived in the US for more than 183 days within the last three days, she would be classified as a resident.
delancey

Post by delancey »

I'm told that because she earned less than 10,000 as self employed, she does not have to file her taxes. Is this info correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Neither is correct. If you are going to ask questions here. Ask the question, not give someone else's wrong qnswer.

J1's are exempt from having their days count as resident. I already told you this.

Taxes can be done by anyone with na internet connections.

How about she ask the questions from now on.
delancey

Post by delancey »

Thanks for the help. You were right.