how to correct unreported accounts with fbar

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

frank_m

how to correct unreported accounts with fbar

Post by frank_m »

I thought I was exempt from filing because of the accounts being less than $10K or in an rrsp. But now I hear otherwise from a colleague that the 10k threshold is not per person.

THe details: I'm US citizen/resident who moved from canada in the 90's
my wife worked in canada in the mid 90's. Has a $20K RRSP in her name.
I have an account worth $9000 in a mutual fund. (It was $2000 when I left canada in 1990.) I pay canadian tax that is withheld and don't report income or claim any deduction on the tax.

When I first moved it was taking as long to do the special forms to report this as the rest of my taxes. I did it for a couple of years but it wasn't making a significant difference - so I stopped.

Looking for advice on the procedures to rectify the situtation.
SpencerEden

Post by SpencerEden »

Visit the Lumbridge Swamp, shift eastern until you require the sea, keep close to this and move to the south and you will probably quickly locate the key exploration opening.Strong Assaults- Acquire thorough physique armour and rehearse self-defense strike.