RRSP interest taxable?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sitonatree

RRSP interest taxable?

Post by sitonatree »

Sorry if this question has been answered before.

I'm filing form 8891 for my RRSP account. There are no distributions. I know TFSA interest income is taxable in US, is interest from RRSP also taxable in US?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is unless you elect to defer taxation on 8891. That is one of the functions of that form. It doesn't apply to TFSA and RESP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sitonatree

Post by sitonatree »

Thanks Nelsona. You have always been so helpful.
sitonatree

Post by sitonatree »

I made the election to defer the interest, but section 10a requests to include interest income on line 8a, should I put "0" here since I elected to defer or should I put the actual interest amount here without including it on line 8a since I already elect to defer?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to follow the directions on the form. If you have elected to fefer, you are instructed to STOP after line 8.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sitonatree

Post by sitonatree »

Yes yes, I need better glasses..