FTC 1116 - Income resourced by treaty

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jenfin

FTC 1116 - Income resourced by treaty

Post by jenfin »

Apparently there was legislation in August 2010 relating to preparing 1116s re: certain income resourced by treaty.

OAS/CPP --for 2010 I reported this on line 20a Soc. Sec benefits and reported the taxable amount as zero. I excluded a prorata amount of my Canadian taxes when determining my FTC .I also prepared an 8833 to take the treaty provision.

If I am now required to prepare a 1116 for this income to report "income resourced by treaty" when summarizing my 1116s in Part !V my total FTC will be too big unless I report the OAS/Cpp as taxable income on 20 b. Is this how I should handle it....or does the new regulation not apply to social benefits.

US capital gains/losses on stock - I guess there is a similar issue re: taking a treaty position to treat these as Canadian. Maybe it is just as well not to take the treaty position???

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nothing new here. Re-sourcing by treaty has been around for decades.

You did not say if you live in US or canada. If you live in US OAS/CPP are NOT taxed in canada at all-- they are taxable in US. There would be no need to re-source since you should not have paid any US tax. Vice versa if you live in canada with regard to Socail security. Again no need to re-source because you excluded the income on your 1040 line 20.

So it sounds like you are a little mixed-up on this issue (understandably)

Cap gains are treated much the same way, taxable only hwre you live.

So, where do you live? We'll start there.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jenfin

Post by jenfin »

Thank you. Dual citizen, resident in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, SS, CPP, OAS, are all reported on 20, and excluded, as you did, with a 8833 sattement. No 1116 needed.

Since you are in canada, any cap gains are Cdn-sourced, so you merely report the cap gains are you would ordinarily on your 1040 (in US dollars), and on a 1116 passive income, and take the Cdn tax you paid on those gains are your basis for credit. You have no US-sourced cap gains that need to be re-sourced.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D