Cdn Stocks in Roth IRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bruce

Cdn Stocks in Roth IRA

Post by bruce »

As a Cdn resident (dual citizen) with a Roth IRA, I'm trying to figure out the best investments to have in it given that earnings are only taxed in Canada. I'm thinking that Cdn stocks interlisted on the NYSE might be the best bet (e.g. large Cdn bank/resource stocks). But here's the question: Is there any problem receiving the Canadian Dividend Tax Credit on a Canadian stock purchased in USD, on the NYSE, in a US Roth IRA, where (presumably) dividends are also paid in USD?
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not sure if my question was unclear or not. I might have made it too complicated or specific to my situation so let's forget about the Roth for a second. Here's my rephrased question....

Question: Can a Canadian resident claim the Canadian dividend tax credit for dividends received on a Canadian interlisted stock that they hold in a US brokerage account, bought on a US exchange, denominated in USD?

[If the answer to that question is true, then I'm certain that it would still be true for that same stock when held in a Roth IRA account since CRA sees though the Roth structure.]

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I weas letting someone else have a go at this, but since no one else has, I'll give my *opinion*.

As long as the dividend would qualify if it were paid out on the 'Cdn' stock (rememebr, not all dividends paid out by Cdn corps qualify for the tax credit) then you can calculate your own tax credit.

Normally, but not always, a T receipt would indicate your credit. Your IRA will not be receiving a T form obviously, but CRA does allow one to calculate the credit even without the reciept.

A problem you will face however, is that there already will be Cdn tax withheld on the dividends paid to your IRA (this is the case for any Cdn corps trading on US markets), so you may have a complicated time accounting for the tax already paid (although, simply including it with all your other withheld tax should suffice, with a note).

So, you will likely have to first determine if the Cdn-sourced dividends are eligible for the credit, then gross up your dividends accordingly (there is one rate for eligible and one for non-eligible), and then take the credit you calculate. 'Normal' Cdn residents simply use the figures provided on their T form. You will simply add any Cdn tax withheld by the IRA to your other withholding (your paycheck withholding for example).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised Canadian taxes are withheld from Cdn dividends paid in a US IRA (even a Roth). Are US taxes withheld from US stock dividends paid to an RRSP? For some reason I thought holding in a retirement account made the withholding go away (by treaty?).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

"Are US taxes withheld from US stock dividends paid to an RRSP?"

Yes, and this has been a bigger and bigger problem over the years. There are cumbersome remedies.

This doesn't harm you though, since your account doesn't have such protection (except for the fact that the withheld tax reduces your Roth).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

Very interesting. I learn something new every day!

This tells me some very important general tax planning rules for holding stocks in tax sheltered plans... wherever possible I should try to:

1) Keep US stocks in US plans (401k or traditional IRA)
2) Keep Cdn stocks in RRSP (or unsheltered for tax credit purposes)
3) Roth is a problem no matter what you put in there. US stocks = less paperwork but higher taxes. Cdn stocks = paperwork to calculate Cdn tax credit but (likely) lower taxes on Cdn return

Does this sound like a reasonable summary of how to minimize overall taxes? Seems like a shame to pay extra taxes through withholdings from a tax sheltered plan unless they can offset taxes elsewhere (like Cdn taxes withheld from a Roth).
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

bruce: "Are US taxes withheld from US stock dividends paid to an RRSP?"

nelsona: "Yes, and this has been a bigger and bigger problem over the years. There are cumbersome remedies."

As far as I know, this is not true. A Canadian broker holding an RRSP which collects a dividend on a US stock position will not withhold or remit taxes to the IRS. Paragraph 2 of Article XXI forbids taxation of either interest or dividends.

The Article is neutral with respect to direction, so a Canadian dividend paid into an IRA would be similarly exempt from Canadian tax. A US broker who withholds is making a mistake and should be pointed at the treaty if it persists.

A Roth IRA is a different animal. Canada considers a Roth to fall outside the protections of Article XXI, so withholding would likely apply.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for helping clarify this one. I was really surprised at nelsona's answer about withholdings from RRSPs as it seemed contrary to what I had always understood. Great to have a second opinion!

In terms of the Roth, is the Canadian withholding tax due to a) having Canadian stocks in the Roth, b) having a Canadian address on the account, or c) both? The reason I ask is because as a US citizen holding Canadian stocks in a US tax shelter, I'm surprised that a Canadian address would be enough to trigger Cdn withholding???

Given the difficulty of claiming the dividend tax credit (as nelsona discussed), I wonder if it would make more sense to hold EWC in the Roth for canadian content. This is certainly easier and would allow me to simply forget about trying to claim the DTC. It would also mean no more need to try to prove/claim that Canadian withholding came out. Alternatively, I suppose I could hold a US index (like VTI or SPY) and get the Canadian content in my traditional IRA. Just thinking out loud... any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

While the treaty offers protection from such taxation, such protection must be requested, thru W8BEN. It does indeed happen all to frequently that RRSP are withheld.

http://forums.canadianbusiness.com/thre ... 9&tstart=0

As I said, once withheld, reversing this withholding is very cumbersome, since (a) the funds are no longer in your RRSP, and (b) they have been remitted by the broker to the IRS, in your name, so they can't get it back, you must apply for it.

Ask 20 Self-directed RRSP holders if they have submitted a W8BEN, you might get one 'yes'. Therein lies the chances of withholding.
bruce

Post by bruce »

My understanding is that the W8BEN is only necessary if you don't have a valid SIN on file. If you have a valid SIN, all you need is a photocopy of drivers licence. Here's the requirements from Etrade. I've seen these same requirements posted by other Cdn brokers.

https://www.canada.etrade.com/signup/forms.shtml