Confused Situation. Got GC, entered US, but no US income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rlb

Post by rlb »

"Anyway, I am done here, will go elsewhere to look for an advice and explanation. Have fun."

nelsona does his best to give good advice and explanation, but he is spread very thin with many people asking. He does not have the time to say the same thing over and over again. If you want somebody to cater to your every whim, find someone for hire and put your money down.
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Let's put this into context. Someone comes into this forum 2 weeks before April 15 and expects someone (in this case, nelsona) to sort out a complex international tax issue and then gets upset because the answers are not as detailed as one would get spending at least 2 hours with an international tax accountant (at $200-300/hr).

International tax accounting is a sub-specialty. The going charge to fill out a 3520/A form and other such forms is as much as $1k. I spent over $8K before I got to the point where I could handle my situation on my own. The information, directly or indirectly by helpful people here (particularly nelsona) has been invaluable when I just needed an answer or two to move on. That's all that can reasonably be expected here.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

See what I mean?

Wah, wah wah....
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For the rest of you, the reason why one should NOT use 1040NR and 883 to claim non-residency when having a GC, is (a) in this case residency is very unbclear, because of not really living anywhare, and (B) this should only be used by someone unafraid or unconcened about losing GC. Since this person is actually moving to US (and has moved) and is starting thir life their, it would be unwaise to start off with doing something that will cost GC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D