Article XXV NOT be better than 1040NR?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

telly1

Post by telly1 »

These are good examples nelson. I both of our cases we would be closer to your 1st example than to the second.

When I ran the numbers in Turbo Tax it seemed the tax rates were very close in our case (I included CAD taxes paid, mortgage interest & taxes) but I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing this right. I need to review within TurboTax again & do a few more searches here. Some things have changed since I did this last!
telly1

Post by telly1 »

On a pro forma 1040, do RESPs & TFSAs need to be considered?

They certainly are not on a regular 1040NR right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They need to be considerd for INCOME. but you do not have to bother with the reporting aspects.

The pro forma is you pretending to be a US citizen living in canada; whatever a USC would put on the 1040 as income has to go on the pro forma. Yopu are coming up with a RATE to apply against your 1040NR effectively connected income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
telly1

Post by telly1 »

Thanks nelson.

A USC would include government match (RESP) + any interest or dividend income then. How would one deal with capital gains if you cashed out a portion of a TFSA?

I'm beginning to think it could be feasible to a lower tax rate with the NR in several cases after all.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would be capital gains, just like for a USC living in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D