Cancel Provincial health card or suspend: for non residency?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Hirider267

Cancel Provincial health card or suspend: for non residency?

Post by Hirider267 »

Hi everyone. I am going to be working abroad, and in order to become a non-resident, I have sold the house, sold the car, disposed all furniture, taken my wife and kids abroad, have no house available to me in Canada and no income in Canada. I have established strong social and economic ties abroad, including club membership and schooling for kids.

Now, I have only the Bank account in Canada and the DL. I was wondering if I should (a) suspend my Provincial health card for 5 years, or, (b) cancel it completely.

Suspending it would of course make me it easier for me when I get back, becaue there is no waiting.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As i answerd on the other website, as long as you do this before leaving your province, you will be granted a period of non-residence in which your card remains valid (this provision is not universal and varied by province).

Uk's treaty with Canad, as well as CRA regs would still make you non-resident of Canada, and a departing resident in the year you leave.

It is pointless to keep a DL.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Hirider267

Post by Hirider267 »

[quote="nelsona"]As i answerd on the other website, as long as you do this before leaving your province, you will be granted a period of non-residence in which your card remains valid (this provision is not universal and varied by province).

Uk's treaty with Canad, as well as CRA regs would still make you non-resident of Canada, and a departing resident in the year you leave.

It is pointless to keep a DL.[/quote]

Thank you for your kind answer. The only reason I ask is because when I go to suspend my Provincial Health Coverage, in the suspension form, the fine print below says "I agree to make Ontario my Principal Home" and then there is a space for signature.

That's why I wonder if there is any impact as far as CRA's position is concerned.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As I said, each province is different,. But if you cannot satisfy the requiremnts for this absentee coverage for OHIP, then don't lie.

You are NOT maintaining Ontario as your principal home -- nor shouild you for all other tax reasons.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Betfner20

Re: Cancel Provincial health card or suspend: for non residency?

Post by Betfner20 »

Additionally, Pixbet https://pxbtbet.com provides comprehensive statistics, analysis, and insights to assist users in making well-informed choices. With its array of features, Pixbet offers a robust and engaging online betting platform https://strlbet.com that caters to the diverse preferences of sports enthusiasts.