New to Form 8891 - must amend previous 6 years of income tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coniglio

New to Form 8891 - must amend previous 6 years of income tax

Post by coniglio »

:( I am a US citizen living in Canada. I have been filing US income tax since 1991 (accountant prepared to 1997) and I have been doing the rest (copying what he did on previous ones) However, the accountant did not include RRSP amounts in the first 6 returns he did. I learned THIS YEAR !!! of Form 8891. good grief. I am not sure WHERE to start. I figured I would file my 2011 income tax 1040 and 2555EZ (for June 15th) and indicate my new 2011 RRSP (somewhere on 1040 i am guessing?), Should my total RRSP for 2011 indicate my contributions only or include the DPSP (employer) too? As for the form 8891, I will file for the first time and will include total accumulated amount on my statement at Dec. 31, 2011 and indicate on 6a that i have never made an election under Article XV!!(7) . Now I need to AMEND the previous 6 years of 1040X income taxes. The IRS (I spoke to them)said just to fill out the top portion, then section c (the reason for the amendment) and attach form 8891. But I dont know hoe to answer the questions 6a? I need some guidance to know if in doing the above, I am on the right track with the IRS.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This has been dealt with 100's of times here, just do some serching please.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D