1040 L16a+b: submit RRIF cost base history or not?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Filo

1040 L16a+b: submit RRIF cost base history or not?

Post by Filo »

USC bona fide resident in Canada.

My first RRIF payout occurred in tax year 2011.

I have completed 7 tables giving the history of my RRSP contributions and my final cost base. (Over a period of 30 years, I had 6 RRSPs and one final RRIF.)

Separately from that, I have a sheet giving the relatively simple calculations for 1040 lines 16a and 16b, taking account of my company pension and my RRIF payouts.

The history of my RRSP contributions and final cost base: should I submit that to the IRS with my submitted tax forms? Or should I not send the history and let the IRS request it if they want to see it?

Either way, I would like not to irritate them.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

never send any more to IRS than they ask.

Your RRIf payment should all stream from 8891. period.
Your pension is 100% taxable. For software you will simply create a fake 1099-R that will feed line 16b.

Your cost basis is now known to you. Since I presume you are no longer making RRSP conributions, it is a simple matter for you now to just subtract the non-taxable portion of your RRIF distribution from your cost basis. For your own records, you should write this value on the bottom of your 8891 every year.

your taxable portion every year is: Distribution *(ACB/FMV).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Filo

Post by Filo »

"never send any more to IRS than they ask": OK; but two details --

-- For this first year only, should I include a note saying that the RRIF Cost Base history is available on request?

-- I have a sheet showing the explicit calculation for RRIF taxable portion = Distribution * (FMV - ACB) / FMV and a table showing how the pension and the RRIF together result in the entries in 1040 lines 16a+b. Should I submit that every year?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. No.
2. No.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Filo

Post by Filo »

OK, that's very clear. Thank you for answering.