Sailing Permit: Too late to file/what are the consequences?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

alexf

Sailing Permit: Too late to file/what are the consequences?

Post by alexf »

Hi, I'm a US citizen, Canadian permanent resident, my wife is Canadian, and we'd moved to the US (back to the US for me) a couple of years back so that I could go to graduate school. My wife got her green card when we moved down, as we weren't sure whether or not we'd be staying, but it was only a two-year green card as we'd only been married a couple of months prior to me being accepted at school, and us moving down. For a variety of reasons, we chose not to stay, and returned to Canada. My wife forfeited her green card since we figured we'd never be returning to the US, and we figured we were finished. That was about two years ago.

Then I found out about the sailing permit. We paid our US taxes while in the country, and she even filed as a non-resident for the time she was in Canada prior to forfeiting her green card, so we have all the documents the IRS says they need for this permit. However: Is it too late to file? Will they even know how to do the paperwork if she files AFTER forfeiting her green card? (My understanding is that people typically don't get these permits, if only because they're not aware they need them -- we certainly weren't).

The only reason I care is because as a US citizen, I will remain on the IRS' books my whole life, and I don't want a filing mistake my wife made to affect our joint finances (by affecting mine) at some point in the future. What are the consequences if she doesn't file for the sailing permit? Presumably if we're ever called on it, if we can demonstrate that we've paid our taxes as required (which we have), that should be good enough?

Finally, can anyone comment on how long the process takes to get a sailing permit, should she file? We're in the States for three days later this month, and it would be great to be able to do this in an in-and-out kind of way -- but she's hesitant to go in because she thinks by filing, she'll be held up in the US and not allowed to return to Canada.

Any help appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Alex
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sailing permits apply only to aliens. Neither of you were aliens when you left US.
You were both responsible to file until she gave up GC.

No one files for sailing permit. don't worry.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
onlynewsky

longchampsshop

Post by onlynewsky »

Seeking the perfective merchandise on your little types may very well be a trial, in particular after you have witout a doubt presumption them each and every factor! Regardless of in case you plan to have a child��s The holiday time located, birthday present, or other celebration, you should try out using a little factors note.To http://www.longchampsshop.com long champ begin with, you'll evidently would like to purchase the appropriate reward on your children��s eld. Pertaining to more youthful children, gizmos are invariably sensible. In case your small baby at this time provides a number of gadgets, you ought to uncover some detail one among a kind. You could http://www.longchampsshop.com/long-cham ... k-c-3.html]longchamp backpack start out to scan via Kettler Tricycles? Imagine the quantity of merriment the younger boy or possibly lady could have with a tricycle!They simply don��t make ��em identical many people beneficial to, usually. Currently, tricycles as well as bicycles both equally of them are fashioned with bioengineering in head. Kettler particularly may make tricycles with probably the most ripe abilities, such as a brand new father or mother administration method! For that reason, not merely could it be merriment and cozy, Kettler Trikes are very reliable. You��ll have a fulfillment in comprehension that your kid is unquestionably horseback riding near using an individual in the most reliable tricycles inside the globe.As a way to give your son or daughter whatever entertaining, even helpful, you then ought to look at the academic advantages that is accessible from Magnatiles. These 3d photographs puzzles in addition to blocks educate little ones mathematical http://www.longchampsshop.com/long-cham ... s-c-1.html]longchamp le pliage tote bag[/url] styles, essential math principles, along with scientific disciplines. Your child may well also be able to make creativeness simply by tinkering with these satisfaction, educative obscure thoughts.Magnatiles, for the reason that identify suggests, are commonly more than unity magnetic tiles established for youngsters 4 ages or maybe more. You most likely can help your current feminine kid or son organize kindergarten making use of these superb puzzles. Your groups of long-lasting magnetic flooring tiles also are available things of 33 and also a hundred, therefore you may possibly obtain all of them on the web.Need to you've the pre-teenage or youngster daughter, you then doubtless master how fussy they could be. Finding out the correct surprise to the female is definitely tough action. Even so, in the event that the lady adores totes, you then certainly may just take care of to create an impact her obtaining Longchamp totes. These types of developer baggage, carryall luggage, along with again gives numerous originated from an present This certain language organization. Quite possibly the most very well acknowledged lines are your The Pliage collection, that gives a number of colors and fashoins.Ladies moreover to more youthful ladies just about everywhere accross the earth definitely like Longchamp Bags, plus they may be turning out to be quite a bit far more frequent every day. If the little girl seems ahead to displaying in advance of close buddies, leave her with something employing which normally she will flash inside their eyes��give her a chic, tailor made made France tote. They're certainly not really expensive, quite a few on the web mode internet sites bargain these at wonderful low cost price tag ranges.
123 newsky