How is Canadian depature tax calculated?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hotcheese

How is Canadian depature tax calculated?

Post by hotcheese »

Hello,
How is Canadian departure tax calculated? If I have money in Canadian bank accounts is that subject to a departure tax amount?

I still own a residential property in Canada (though I now live outside of Canada), if I sell it would it be subject to departure tax? (there would be no capital gains made on the sale).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Read the emigrants guide from CRA.

basically, it is as if all your non-real estate investments were sold on the day you leave. Bank accounts are cash, not investments.

Your house on the other hand does not get taxed as long as you sell it within one year of leaving.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hotcheese

Post by hotcheese »

Thank you, what is the situation regarding the house if it is sold more than one year after departure?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You would be liable for some tax based on the profit and the number of years you owned the house as your principal residence.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hotcheese

Post by hotcheese »

There wouldn't be any profit, so I guess I have no tax to pay.