Canada Mutual Fund vs. 8621 Urgent, need help !!

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

gogo

Canada Mutual Fund vs. 8621 Urgent, need help !!

Post by gogo »

I have form 8621 questions.
I am Canadian and live in US with greencard
I have one mutual fund accounts consist with two mutual funds for years, I never know it should report 8621 until we need to report foreign accounts ( I did it). This two mutual funds never distribute Div/Int for years.

If I decide fill out 8621 and do the market to market election 2011, then I put (5a) comes from the value of the fund that's on my year-end statement.; put adjusted basis (5b),=book value ; if I have a gain ? Where should I put gain in 1040? How about loss ? some say first year of loss cannot against regular income, I am not sure if that is true ?, Now, if first year is gain, and second year is loss, where do I show this loss in 1040? ( do I treat as 1099b?)

For the second year (2012) the adjusted basis 5(b) will be copy form my 2011 5(a), right?

If I decide to sold this mutual fund in year 2012, there is the confused part:
. I think I will receive
1) NR4 that withhold about 25% gross income form sale mutual fund to remitted to revenue Canada; since mutual fund company already withhold tax, do I still need to file Non resident tax for this ?

2) Mutual fund company will still mail me 1099b to IRS & me .-since I will report this sell in the regular income and pay the tax on it on form 8621. For 1099b, Can I put the final process amount and cost in the same amount. so it won't double tax me
can you answer this question to me ?