Why exact date?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Longman

Why exact date?

Post by Longman »

CRA refused “STATEMENT OF RESIDENTâ€￾ that I filled and asked the exact date – not only month and year also Date! I am unable to remember the date when I entered Canada. I don’t know how the Date is important. Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance.
By the way, what is definition of “enteringâ€￾ and “leavingâ€￾ Canada? I back and forth several times each year.

Background:
I am Canadian citizen. I have been working in USA since 2000, and back-forth Canada regularly because my family is in Canada. I filed the tax return in 2007 tax year because I also worked for a Canada company. In 2008 and 2009 tax years I did not file tax return because we called the CRA office and the officer said I don’t have to file tax return to Canada. In 2010 tax year, I filed tax return and submit some tax to CRA after subtracting tax to USA. But the CRA replied say: I was “non-residentâ€￾ in 2010 tax year and have to pay more tax to CRA. I indicated my family is in Canada all the year and I should be “Factual Residentâ€￾. They, then, asked me filling a NR74 and NR73 to determine my residency.