Adjusted basis for mark-to-market election on 8621

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sarahp

Adjusted basis for mark-to-market election on 8621

Post by sarahp »

Hi all,

I'm slogging my way through forms 8621, 3520, and 3520-A for a TFSA in which I (foolishly, I now know) purchased a mutual fund this year. I'm trying to determine whether QEF or mark-to-market makes more sense, and am having trouble with some of the instructions for mark-to-market. Has anyone figured out what they mean by the adjusted basis? (This is Part III, line 5b.) I purchased the fund this year and then had distributions (dividends and interest) automatically reinvested. Is the adjusted basis the sum of the purchase price and the reinvested distributions?

Thanks,
Sarah
cliffie75

Post by cliffie75 »

I wish I could help you on this. Another poster suggested if you use mark-to-market, all you need do is look at your Year End Statement, and put the book value in 5b... but if you result with a loss and this is your first year filing - does that loss count against any other income ? (i.e. no unreversed inclusion available) If they are all losses and this is the first year reporting, maybe we should opt for QEF ?
Cliffie75