Canadian working remotely in the US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rommela

Canadian working remotely in the US

Post by rommela »

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen, working remotely for a US University from Feb 2012 to May 2012. They have asked me to fill out a W-9 or W-8BEN form, from what I've been sent and read about these forms, I've filled out a W-8BEN form. This is all they've advised me to do at this point.

My questions:
- Do I need a visa
- Will I need to submit any other forms (ITIN or EIN mentioned in the W-8BEN form)
- they've been paying me in US dollars, will I need to report any earnings or pay income taxes in the US or deal with IRS - I will be declaring my additional income in Canada through the CRA.

Thanks for your time!
rommela

Post by rommela »

more info:
- I will only work from Canada, never needing to enter the US.
- I am an individual working as a contractor with the University.[/list]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. As long as you are not having anything deducrted in US, then you would file, but only to get the money back.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rommela

Post by rommela »

[quote="nelsona"]No. As long as you are not having anything deducrted in US, then you would file, but only to get the money back.[/quote]

Thanks, yes - nothing is being deducted.
rommela

Post by rommela »

so all I'll need to fill out is a W-8BEN form?

no visa or other forms needed?
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

Yes, just a single form.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The W8-BEN goe s to the client, and allows them not to withhold taxes. Easier for you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rommela

Post by rommela »

perfect, thanks everyone.