US Citizen in Canada - Rolling defined pension to RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bigrandy

US Citizen in Canada - Rolling defined pension to RRSP

Post by bigrandy »

I am a US Citizen who has lived in Canada my entire life. So far my US tax filings have been quite straight forward. This year 3 items came up which I have not had to deal with in the past.

The first is that I left my employer I directly rolled 300k from my defined municipal pension into my RRSP. Are there any reporting issues here for my US return? (I am 45 yo if it matters)

The second is that I took 100k as a lump-sum that was not eligible to be rolled over. I paid 35k in Cdn tax on this on my return. Do I just report the 100k on 16a and 16b and claim an FTC on the from 1116 as "general" income.

The third is that I received an 80k stock option benefit on a T4. In Canada I am allowed a 50% deduction from my income. Is the full 80k reportable as income in the US?

With the above 80K my income is now $240k after the 2555 reduction. I am getting dinged with $1100 in AMT. Does this make sense? The AMT form is very confusing to me.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. Just remember that the $300K is NOT included in the cost of the investment for determining the taxation of RRSP when you draw upon them later.

2. Yes.

3 and 4 I'll leave you to hire someone.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Filo

Post by Filo »

@nelsona as regards your point 1:

In a buyout, I received a $30K lump sum that I was free to take as cash or to have (legally) deposited into my RRSP. That $30K did not in any way reduce my pension nor come out of my pension. That $30K was mine; shouldn't it count as part of my cost of investment?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not the same issue.

This is sevverance pay. Did you report it on both your Cdn and US returns? If not, then it can't be considered cost of investment.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Filo

Post by Filo »

Thank you!

Yes, severance pay. And I reported it as income on all my returns, Canadian, Quebec, and US.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then, since it was not deductible on your US return, it becomes cost. You did report it on your US return, and not as earned income (since it is not earned income)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Putting it in RRSP, since it was not deductible in US was probably not best idea, since you got little tax deduction, and will pay full tax in canada when you take it out. Not the windfall you would expect.
Jospher

Post by Jospher »

In June Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1-2 DVD Box Set fell to the bottom of the television barrel- partial nudity. By that Grey's Anatomy box set 1-7'm talking about the Whip Set, a block of lame car Game Of Thrones complete box set that not even Satan could condone. These Game Of Thrones complete Box Set 1 were not only aimed at a completely different demographic than every other G4 show but were worse than any of them. A similarity found in all Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1-4 Sets is that there's always a myriad of women in the picture who can't wait to get paid for what they're doing. one tree hill dvd had to watch in disappointment as I saw my favorite network slowly become MTV. Sons of Anarchy Season 1-4 dvd box set was Video Game Vixens, which was canceled in a heartbeat because even the morons running the channel knew Sons of Anarchy Season 4 box set had created a disaster. The Nurse Jackie dvd was pretty much a beauty pageant of 3D women that appeared in video games. Just Cougar Town dvd was enough to make me want to vomit. Hosted by House M.D dvd the really not-funny annoying guy from Damages dvd Love The 80's the show may have not been on for long, but the sheer fact that Project Runway dvd even existed was bad enough. And don't get me started on Barbed Wire Biscuit. To truly signify their insanity, Warehouse 13 dvd has gone after adult swim with a late-night block that sucks more ass than a toilet seat. Aside from Merlin dvd show that picks up on the TechTV vibe all the Modern Family dvd. Better with You dvd box set is the worst collection of cartoons I've ever seen. I'd even take Law and Order Special Victims Unit dvd show ever over this pile. Dead Like Me dvd has survived simply because anime works on Cartoon Network. And while Brothers and Sisters dvd may have the biggest anime titles on it, Supernatural dvd has some of the worst. To be fair The Best Of Soul Train dvd box set has sucked going back to the TechTV days. 30 Rock dvd's too bad that's the one G4 show not affected by change.
Filo

Post by Filo »

It was entered as Other Income, because that's what made the most sense to my accountant. And that's despite the fact that the IRS international-tax advisor in Puerto Rico told him (by phone) to put it in with excludable earned income. Getting "information" from the IRS is perilous.

Incidentally, is there any simple way provided to report the spam inserted by Jospher? He's put up more than a dozen of these. (I'm *not* complaining about how this forum is administered; I think it works extremely well. I just wondered if there was a spam alert mechanism available to ordinary users.)