Form 8621

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

DougF

Form 8621

Post by DougF »

I am a Canadian citizen living in the U.S with permanet residence status. I have three accounts in Canada that each hold two mutual funds. These are non-RRSP accounts.

My question: do I file one 8621 form for each account or do I file one form for each mutual fund? I will be electing to Mark-to-Market.

The total market value in each of these accounts is very small - all less than $1500. I also have an RRSP account that along with these 3 non-RRSP account brings the aggregate value to over $10,000 so I am presuming I have to file a 8621 for these (along with a 8891 form for my RRSP).
DougF

Post by DougF »

Nevermind, I think I got it. What a hassle for such small amounts.
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

DougF - I have 3 different RESP's, each of which contains 2-3 mutual funds. I did 3 8621's, and then described the holdings within each RESP in a page appended to the 8621. That seemed more reasonable then doing a separate 8621 for every single mutual fund.

And, my RRSP's are covered by the 8891. I didn't do an 8621 for them.

I found that once I knew what I was doing, the 8621 itself wasn't that hard to do. It's actually kind of beneficial in the very long run to be claiming the income as I go (which is covered under my 2555 at my income level anyway), rather than in a lump sum when I withdraw it when my kids are in college.
Not a professional opinion.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to clarify, 2555 only applies to wages. I presume you meant having your wages excluded by 2555 makes your other income not taxed.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Thanks nelsona - Yes, that's correct. The 2555 takes care of my wages, and the std deduction and exemptions basically take care of the rest. My presumption is that if I had more income, I could use the 1116 to bring my tax back down to zero, but I haven't made enough income yet to warrant it!
Not a professional opinion.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Its a presumption, but its not assured, given that your mark-to-market may or may not be long-term gain, and only Cdn tax against passive income is covered. You might want to be making dsure you report Cdn passive income and file 1116 even in years when you pay not US tax in order to build up your passive tax carryforward.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
DougF

Post by DougF »

CdnAmerican - thanks for the reply. You are right, the 8621 form really isn't that difficult (at least the mark-to-market election). I plan to liquidate my three litte accounts this year, file again next year, and be done with this.
Filo

Post by Filo »

@DougF:

(a) I thought that to use mark-to-market, your Cdn mutual fund corporations had to each send you written information satisfying specific U.S. IRS requirements. Did you actually receive such information?

(b) Since Cdn mutual funds have only recently become PFICs, and since they are governed under U.S. Code section 1298(f), and since the IRS instructions for section 1298(f) haven't been released yet (according to the instructions for form 8621), I thought that submission of form 8621 had been temporarily suspended until the IRS issues the necessary instructions for a suitably revised form 8621. (???)
Jospher

Post by Jospher »

The Dexter Seasons 1-6 DVD Box Set is yet to come. At first Dexter Seasons 1-6 Box Set was shocked and wondered what was going to take over their old time slots. Then Everybody Loves Raymond complete box set 1-9 learned that Star Trek Next Generation, which has been syndicated more times than The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-5 DVD Box Set, would be coming to G4. The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-5 DVD was baffling to me since The Golden Girls Complete Seasons 1-7 DVD Box Set appeared that G4 was trying to shed its geeky image. But then The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-5 Box Set remembered that Gossip Girl Seasons 1-5 Box Set is on SpikeTV and it all became clear. How I Met Your Mother dvd Box Set 1-7 is now trying to become a man's network, which explains why the Man Show and Eureka Box Set 1-4 have made their way onto the channel. The higher powers at Two and a Half Men Seasons 1-9 DVD Box Set also confessed that another name change for the network is likely in order and The Good Wife dvd will become a thing of the past. Folks, The Golden Girls Complete 1-7 Box Set isn't on G4 for one hour of the day or two. In a four-hour span in-between AOTS, the CSI Seasons 1-12 DVD Box Set will run for three hours. Shoot me now. Also workaholics dvd box set seems to be getting the boot I long feared this. South park Season 1-14 Box set will cease to exist on the TV schedule. Maybe Nikita dvd box set will return in the future, maybe not. Until then, True Blood complete Box Set 1-4 is dead to me. A spin-off of the CBS program Petticoat Junction 1963, The Office Complete Seasons 1-8 dvd Box Set surpassed its predecessor in audience popularity spending four of its six seasons as a Top 20 Nielsen-rated program. Its family-friendly humor puts Green Acres in the same nostalgic category as shows like Law and Order Los Angeles dvd box set, back when Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD Box Set were all about humor and not as serious as Glee dvd box set would later become with the introduction of 1970s stalwarts MASH and All In The Family. The brainchild of creator The Mentalist Seasons 1-4 box set, writer for shows such as The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet and Petticoat Junction where Walt Disney dvd, Doris, Fred, and Smallville Seasons 1-10 Box Set make their first appearances, Green Acres' unique brand of comedy lives on through a successful and ongoing syndication run, and its catchy theme song even captured the pop culture for a second time when Old Navy incorporated True Blood complete dvd Box Set 1-4 into one of their trademark clothing commercials.
Oceansunshine

Post by Oceansunshine »

@DougF - I'm in the same situation - I had tiny mutual funds in Canada (income on my nr4 is only $10) and the 8621 seems like such a pain for such small funds.

My question: I already cashed them out in 2011. So what option do I choose on the 8621? All of the choices (A through H in part I) seem to be determinations for going forward, or 'deemed sales' (instead of actual sales), and I won't be dealing with this again in 2012.

I also don't know if it matters that 2011 is the first year I'm filing taxes in the US, so there's no previous history of these RSPs even though I've had them in Canada for years...
DougF

Post by DougF »

@Oceansunshine

Since this is your first time reporting it (already sold) I am not sure what section you would fill out on form 8621. I used the Mark-to-Market section for 2011 but my mutual funds will not be liquidated until 2012 at which time I will again use the mark-to-market section - line 8 ("If you sold or otherwise disposed of any section 1296 stock during tax year"). Maybe this applies to you?? Wish I could give you something more definitive.