E-filing from abroad

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eortlund

E-filing from abroad

Post by eortlund »

So apparently we are supposed to be able to e-file now. But I had trouble doing this through Turbotax because it flagged several "mistakes" I had to fix before I could e-file. Mistakes like the lack of an official EIN on the part of my husband's Canadian employer. I didn't see a way forward so just printed and mailed as usual. Has anyone else figured out how to successfully e-file?
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

There is a special place in TurboTax to enter foreign earned income not reported on W-2 and it doesn't require EIN for the foreign employer.

I have been e-filing for the last several years without any issues.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Hmmmm....that would be good, but would entering it that way generation a 2555? I don't do it that way, I take foreign tax credits.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

generate
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

No, it would not. I use FTC as well. Income->Foreign Earned Income->Check "a statement from my employer"->Enter your foreign wages->Say "No, I do no want to use form 2555". Done
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I see. Thank you. I will make a note of it and try it next year.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I helped my friend with her taxes and tried this method here. It didn't ask for an EIN at the end, however, it wouldn't let me proceed with e-filing until I "fixed" the lack of a US address for my husband's employer. I tried to fill in a Canadian postal card and it wouldn't even enter it. ??? How can I get around that?
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

postal code
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

What form and line does it ask you to enter the US address on?
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Well, I don't have my friend's Turbotax application in front of me. I did exactly what you said. At the end, when it was saying I needed to correct things, I saw that it had generated a W-2, and that it wanted me to fill in the employer's address on that W-2. There was no way to enter a foreign address. It wouldn't accept it at all.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The situation described here is for people working for US firms, but in other countries.

You should not fake a W-2 when reporting T4 wage income. That is why the software croaks on it.

But it may prevent you from e-filing. Thems the breaks. Cdns in US can't netfile at all.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

thanks! Oh well.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Even though I can't e-file, should I be entering our foreign income in that foreign earned income section rather than under wages and salaries?
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

Something is not right here. I have been doing exactly that for the past several years and there is no fake W-2 generated (for my foreign employer) and no issues e-filing.

Go to the forms section, delete any W-2 forms and try to enter your income again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

wages are entered in wages.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D