non-resident RRSP contribs applicable to previous tax year?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hasino

non-resident RRSP contribs applicable to previous tax year?

Post by hasino »

- I left Canada on 1/1/2011 and I'm considered a US tax resident for 2011
- On 1/13/2011 I opened a new RRSP with a $10k contribution
- I applied this $10k as a deduction on my 2010 CRA filing, because it was made in the first 60 days of 2011.

Can I use the $10k contribution as my cost basis for the tax treaty, form 8891, etc? Or is this ineligible because I was technically a Canadian non-resident?

Was I wrong to deduct this contribution on my 2010 CRA return in the first place?

On one hand, the contribution was made *after* I became a Canadian non-resident (I didn't realize it at the time, because I didn't know my job situation going forward). But on the other hand, the contribution back applies to a tax year when I was a fully Canadian resident.

Thanks for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Any contributions made to an RRSP that were not granted a deduction on your US tax return, add to your cost basis. So, in your case your cost basis of RRSP is the book value on 1/1/11 plus the contribution you made in Jan 2011. Any future contributions you make as a US resident will add to your cost basis.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D