RRIF contrib for US tax: 1st 60 days rule & "yr of

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Filo

RRIF contrib for US tax: 1st 60 days rule & "yr of

Post by Filo »

Hello,

In compiling a history of past contributions to my RRIF for US tax purposes, I have a question about which year I attribute a contribution to.

Example: in July 1993 I contributed $1000 to an RRSP; in February 1994 I contributed $2000 to the same RRSP. For Canadian taxes, that produced a $3000 contribution for the year 1993. (And in fact I treated it that way also for the US Rev. Proc. 89-45 form.) For the contribution history for US tax on RRIF withdrawals, I could now treat this in either of two different ways:

(a) 1993 contribution = $3000 x exch rate
or
(b) 1993 contribution = $1000 x exch rate;
and 1994 contribution = $2000 x exch rate.

It seems to me that (b) would be safer to avoid problems with the IRS.
Is that correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS does not ask for detailed contribution times. They are only intersted in the "investment in the contract". The year doesn't matter.

Of couse, if you have been filing 89-45 forms since back, you already have an IRS approved history of contributions for all these years (in then current USD), so why the concern about re-calculating now?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Filo

Post by Filo »

==> The year does matter: that's what determines the exchange rate used. <==

The 89-45s: I did them wrong. The 89-45s only required an updated *total* contribution, and every year I took the *cumulative* Canadian-dollar contribution and then multiplied it by the current year's exchange rate. That's wrong.

When I telephoned the IRS the year the 89-45s came out, I actually got to talk to the fellow whose name was listed as the author of the 89-45. (He said he wasn't really the author.) He didn't rush me, but he essentially gave me no practical advice on how to fill out those (homemade) forms. I know that's no excuse; but I can't use the 89-45s for anything now.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is not correct. Your 89-45's were accepted.

The exchange rate fluctiation is not worth the retracing at this point.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D