Canadian married to American -- Income Tax time in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Md2113

Canadian married to American -- Income Tax time in Canada

Post by Md2113 »

I am a Canadian citizen, married to an American since October of 2010. Last year when claiming 2010 taxes, I was doing my income tax online and when it came time to state my marital status, I chose MARRIED. Once I was completed, I had to enter my husbands SOCIAL, but because US/CDN SSI's and SSN's are different, it wouldn't accept the format. With much frustration and confusion, I claimed as single and received my tax return.

We have yet to live together. We have been together 3.5 years and I am working/saving money to afford all necessary forms and visa papers. My husband, who lived in California for the 2010-11 tax season, worked until June 2011. Since then, due to the economic state, he has been unemployed and I have been helping in any way I can. With that said, his income was close to nothing in the 2011 year.

This year, I spoke to a friend who works for the CRA in Canada and he gave me the proper form to explain my situation and change my marital status. How affected will my tax return be once we combine our incomes? I want to do things the right way so that I don't owe later on when I eventually move to the US. Because I made significantly more money, will I get screwed or will this work so I may claim more due to working more hours to provide for the both of us?

Again, since 2010, my husband has been focusing on finding work and just recently moved to NY for more opportunity, where he is from. We have no joint accounts or property, we are living apart to do things legally for our visa process to live together. Hope someone can help :)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

in all years including 2010, you weere required to indicate married. In US you could file either married friling jointly (on which you would have had to include all his income) or married filiing separately, on which you would not report hos income.

Filing singly was not an option. you need to amend you 2010 return
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D