Slips sent to IRS

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

triunbad

Slips sent to IRS

Post by triunbad »

I noticed a point from Nelson in the last thread, in which he noted that the IRS does not look for receipts. I wasn't sure if this meant receipts, or slips like T5's or T4's. I have always attached slips in the past, and Canadian tax returns to show foreign tax credits, but maybe I don't have to send anything in other than the 1040 and schedules. Is that correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Unlike CRA, IRS never wants reciepts sent with paper returns, other than those which show IRS tax withheld (W-2, 1099-R) or paid (1040-V).

If they don't ask for something, there is no advantage sending it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
triunbad

Post by triunbad »

Its these useful little tidbits that I love about this forum. Thanks for that.
patti

Post by patti »

I understand the IRS doesn't want most slips like T5's and T3's, but I always thought they wanted a copy of the T4 attached to the front of the 1040 (just like a W2). Is that incorrect?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, that is incorrect. Not that you will be punished for doing it, but it is not required.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D