Dual Citizenship, Dual Taxation?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

heavygargoyle

Dual Citizenship, Dual Taxation?

Post by heavygargoyle »

If I have dual citizenship and live mostly in the USA, do I have to pay taxes to the Canadian government? How about vice versa?
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

US tax on US person, and US citizen is always US person no matter where he/she lives.

Canada tax on residents. So you only pay US tax if you live in US.

Vice Versa, is a totally different story. If you live in Canada because you are US citizen, you have to file US return (may not pay any tax at all), also you have to file all related form as if you lived in US.
heavygargoyle

Post by heavygargoyle »

Why would you say "may not pay tax at all"?

Filing taxes is easy, it's actually paying that I am concerned about.
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

if you pay tax in Canada, you can claim tax credit in US.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you live in US, you are only liable for tax on Cdn-source income, at most, regardless of citizenship. Some income, like Cdn bank interest, is not taxed at all, some is flat taxed with no return filed. Some requires the filing of a return and calculation of tax -- all credited on your US tax return.

It is US citizens that are taxed on ALL sources of income regardless of residence, but they avail themselves of various deductions, credits an exemptions (especially the foreign tax credit and the foreign earned income exemption) which in the vast majority of cases wipes out any US tax liability for Cdn residents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And in truth gargoyle, it is the reverse of your statement:
Paying the tax (or not) is the easy part. OFten the reporting is the nightmare, as tsanaha will attest.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

totally agree with nelsona,

reporting is the key.. if you report, but you forgot to pay tax -- and it is no crime. if you don't report, even if you pay foregin tax (higher than US), it is a crime.

just make sure report --- all kinds forms...
heavygargoyle

Post by heavygargoyle »

Ok seriously, I have an accountant and a tax lawyer that will file for me regardless of whether I am in the country, I don't see the problem.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So... why are you here then. Ask them your questions.
heavygargoyle

Post by heavygargoyle »

ok obviously that would cost money, I'm just trying to reduce overall costs
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Good point, I believe this forum is here to help everyone tehn they have a very good idea of what to ask their advisors, so now you know.
JG