living in VT working in Quebec as a consultant

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canturk

living in VT working in Quebec as a consultant

Post by canturk »

i just found out about this forum, and thx for all the valuable information. I am a canadian citizen living in the US for the last 3 years and just got my greencard. Have a very good career opportunity in montreal as a consultant, and need to work on client site. Not to lose the greencard, i am thinking of moving to Vermont and commuting to work everyday from home. I know my company will be established in canada, therefore my company will be liable to quebec and federal government for taxes. How about my personal taxes?From what i understand from some of the discussions on this website, i'll be liable to fed. gov of canada, and file US resident taxes and claim credit for cdn taxes. I'll also be liable to Vermont for income tax. (if i am right?) The biggest question is, can i avoid quebec income tax?? I have no plans on getting any address,residency,driver license, medical card etc in quebec. Will keep the address and home in VT. Kids will go to school in VT etc. The answer to this question is really the deal breaker for me. Thx in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no need to establish comany in canada to do this.

pAs a contractor, you would need to spend as little time in canada as possible, once you spend 183 days (and that includes any part of any day)in any 365-day period, your contactor income would become taxable in canada nad QC.

If you establish the comapny in canada, you will be working for a Cdn comany, so all your contractor incoem will be taxable in canada in QC,

Otherwise it would be taxable only by IRS and VT.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D