calculating taxable portion of RRIF withdrawl

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

path

calculating taxable portion of RRIF withdrawl

Post by path »

Nelsona :

I am trying to understand how I would apply the 'non-taxable' portion of my RRIF account when I start making withdrawls.
I have studied the information from your past posts - I have summarized my understanding of the PROPORTIONAL METHOD ;

This doles out the non-taxable portion slowly as I collapse the RRIF over time

The formula you gave for calculating the "taxable" amount of your RRIF withdrawl is
taxable-amt = 16a *[1-(NT/VAL)] where
16a is your gross withdrawal
NT is your non-taxabale investement in the account
VAL is your value (either that day or previous year-end)

Example : RRSP was $100 when you arrived in the US and its value is now $200 - you now convert it to a RRIF - and start withdrawls
Year1 : You withdraw $10 - so taxable amount = 10 *[1-(100/200)] = $5 taxable
Year2 : You withdraw $10 - so taxable amount = 10 *[1-( 95/190)] = $5 taxable
Year3 : You withdraw $10 - so taxable amount = 10 *[1-( 90/180)] = $5 taxable
and on-and-on
* Of coarse in reality VAL will hopefully have grown each year - but for this example I am assuming zero growth

I believe you were promoting this methoed because
* it is consistent over time so it would be easy for everyone to understand (IRS, my accountant and myself)
* RRIF withdrawls are taxed at the marginal rate (added to your last $ earned)
The 'non-taxable deduction' will hit the $ in this marginal tax rate - so this is where you want to use this deduction
ie; By using this tax deduction in little chuncks over time - you will be more likely to gain more tax advantage verses applying the deduction all at once

Am I on track here?

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. Since your Cdn tax will be fixed (at 15% if you use a RRIF, 25% otherwise), I do not see anypoint using the method where you take out the tax-free portion first, since all you will be doing then is building up a HUGE foreign tax carry forward that you will never fuly expend.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D