confusion for commuter GC holder to report off-shore account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jhuang1213

confusion for commuter GC holder to report off-shore account

Post by jhuang1213 »

I am living in Canada and commuting to USA to work and has commuter GC status for 5 yr. I always applied treaty and use 1040NR.

Since I am using 1040NR, I never used FBAR, 2555, 3520, 1116 or 8891 to declare my Canadian accounts. Should I declare those accounts even though I am using 1040NR? The recent News said IRS is cracking down offshore account holders and all GC holder needs to report their oversee accounts.

Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Given that you are applying the treaty, you do not have to report INCOME form off-shore accounts.

But, please remember that the treaty election to file 1040NR does NOT remove your obligation to report FBAR, trusts etc. it only affects your income tax reporting/calculating.

You should have always been reporting these accounts.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jhuang1213

Post by jhuang1213 »

Thanks, Nelsona.

what Form/s should I use to report my following accounts and do I need to go back to last 5 yrs to amend the returns:

RESP
Personal RRSP (I assume 8891)
Group RRSP
Checking

My wifes accounts (since she is only in Canada, I do not need disclosing her account as 1040NR filer, correct):
RRSP,
Checking

Thanks
Jin
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think I'll let you or others figure this out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D