Filing Canadian and American taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MajorLeague

Filing Canadian and American taxes

Post by MajorLeague »

Hello, I'm sorry if this information is already somewhere on this forum.

My husband is a Citizen of Canada and worked there for the first couple of months this year. We own a condo in Canada and have a property management company taking care of the property for us. Every month, we pay a non-resident fee.

My husband is now a resident of the US and working for the US partner of his Canadian company (beginning March) and we were wondering how exactly do we go about filing our taxes.

1. Do we file taxes for both countries? How?
2. Do we need to pay the non-resident tax for the Condo every month?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. This has been adressed many times on this site, please researc. You are considered Emigrants fgor tax purposes, and will fiel a departure return for canada, and one of several methods for US, next spring.

2. Yes, this is non-resident tax on your rental income, withheld from the rent every month. There may be ways of filing next spring to get some back, and/or an NR6 form to dsnd in now to reduce how much is to be withheld. But some tax is to be paid. You will aso be reportin gteh renatl income on your US tax return, and will get credit for the Cdn tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D